I woke up to hear the sad news that a bollywood actress named Jiah Khan committed suicide.
As I was flipping through news channels, it reminded me of the thousands of cases of Clinical Depression I have come across.
Everyone such close to committing the same mistake Jiah did... Some lucky enough to have survived it... and it crossed my mind, how people look at clinical depression with such "neglect".. as if its nothing.
Over the years I have met people from all economic classes of society who have been engulfed by this deadly killer. Actors, Students, Teacher, Doctors, Intellectuals, Fighters, Gangsters, Businessman, Politicians.. no one is safe from it.. Yet we neglect it.
Clinical Depression is a medical illness that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
Its also called as major depressive disorder or bipolar depression.
Depression can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems.
You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and depression may make you feel as if life isn't worth living.
Depression isn't a weakness, nor is it something that you can simply "snap out" of.
Depression is an illness that affects the greatest non-biological entity of your system.. Your mind.
Depression is a chronic illness that usually requires long-term treatment, like diabetes or high blood pressure.
Depression symptoms include:
1. Feelings of sadness or unhappiness
2. Irritability or frustration, even over small matters
3. Loss of interest or pleasure in normal activities
4. Reduced sex drive
5. Insomnia or excessive sleeping
6. Changes in appetite — depression often causes decreased appetite and weight loss, but in some people it causes increased cravings for food and weight gain
7 .Agitation or restlessness — for example, pacing, hand-wringing or an inability to sit still
8. Irritability or angry outbursts
9. Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
10. Indecisiveness, distractibility and decreased concentration
11. Fatigue, tiredness and loss of energy — even small tasks may seem to require a lot of effort
12. Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, fixating on past failures or blaming yourself when things aren't going right
13. Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
14. Frequent thoughts of death, dying or suicide
15. Crying spells for no apparent reason
16. Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
For some people, depression symptoms are so severe that it's obvious something isn't right.
Other people feel generally miserable or unhappy without really knowing why.
Depression affects each person in different ways, so symptoms caused by depression vary from person to person.
REMEMBER CLINICAL DEPRESSION IS 100% CURABLE.
1. Never compare your extent of Depression with anyone else... everyone has a different threshold.. even twins have different thresholds.
2. Depression isn't a sign of weakness.. its a response of your mind, brain and body to unfavorable surroundings.
3. Don't hesitate in visiting a good counselor or good psychiatrist.. and talking your problem out.
You will not be labelled mad!!!
4. You might feel what can the doctor.. or what can a medicine do for you... You will come back to the same place.. and go through the same suffering..
well you will be surprised how much a counseling session or a medicine can help you.
Remember the bhagwad geeta is the greatest counseling session of all times.. in a few hours a broken hearted warrior was ready to fight his own relatives.
If you find the right counselor or right psychiatrist, he/she might just re-ignite that fire missing in you.
5. Don't wait for miracles to happen... being hopeful is great.. but having a restless and sad mind is a cancer... You and only YOU can take the first step towards happiness.
For further assistance on this topic, you can CONTACT ME (all conversations are kept CONFIDENTIAL) -
(Neuro-Psychiatrist, Mental Health and Sexual Health Healer,
Motivational Writer/Speaker and Counselor)
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
website - http://mindmantra.in/services.html
or visit my wellness clinic @-
address- 15, shreeji plaza, next to ice n spice restaurant, opposite seawoods station, seawoods (east)